Saturday, July 26, 2008

We lost Randy Pausch...

I know this blog is supposed to be about travel and experiences (and in fact today I was going to post about the festivals that seem to be happening around this time in Japan) but last night I got an email with terrible news about Prof. Pausch. It looks like after about a year of fighting pancreatic cancer, he finally lost the fight...
For those who don't know, Prof. Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University, heading the Entertainment Technology Center. I was lucky enough to watch him give a talk there in May though I only watched his famous, and deeply inspiring, "Last Lecture" online. This lecture, which he gave after being diagnosed with cancer and in which he gave tips about enjoying life to a fully packed auditorium at Carnegie Mellon rose him to a national celebrity status in the US.
He leaves behind his wife and three young children. I wish them the best and hope they can overcome something so painful.
I am enclosing the talk he gave in May below as well as his famous "Last Lecture". The first is short around 6 minutes and the full "Last Lecture" is 75 minutes long but well worth it if you have not yet watched it.




No comments: