Monday, July 7, 2008

Ikebukuro (池袋)


Ikebukuro is one of these places in Tokyo that are full with people pretty much all the time. I only had a chance to go there once (even though it is very close to Shinjuku - just one stop by a number of lines including the Saikyo Line which is what I used) so I wanted to go there again to spend more time there and I had my chance last Sunday.


Ikebukuro is home to Toyota's Showroom showcasing the latest models, hybrid technology (a-la-Prius) and other Toyota research including safe driving simulators which are a lot of fun to try out. There are lots of shops along the Sunshine Street (サンシャイン通り) which leads all the way from the train station (池袋駅) to a set of interconnected high-rise buildings dubbed the Sunshine City (サンシャインシティ). These buildings contain an aquarium, a planetarium and the Sunshine 60 building has an observatory on its 60th floor (as well as a restaurant on the 58th).

No comments: