Monday, March 17, 2008

Yokohama (横浜) Trip




Yokohama is surprisingly close to Tokyo (30 minutes by train from Shibuya) and yet it looks like a completely different city. For me, it felt much more like a sea-side town with a much more relaxed atmosphere and complete absence of the hustle and bustle of a big metropolis like Tokyo.


Upon exiting the Minato-mirai Station (みなとみらい駅)you get greeted by the ocean and right on the water is a... well, a decent-sized amusement park with a huge ferris wheel (this is the third one I see after the ones in Osaka and Tokyo's Odaiba). Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to check out different rides but I am hoping to do that next time - I got my eyes on the water log ride thingie, it looked like it could be a lot of fun.

I got the chance to see the old port, the new port, the famous red brick building used as a warehouse when Japan first opened its doors to the outside world during the Meiji Era called Akarenga (赤レンガ)and last but not least the Landmark Tower - the tallest skyscraper in Japan. In fack I took the picture below from the deck at the top of the tower called "Sky Garden".

I am planning on being back to Yokohama for further exploration as soon as I get the chance. There is so much more left to explore including the famous Chinatown.





ps. Thanks so much for your hospitality 櫻井さん!.

No comments: