Tuesday, March 10, 2009

“No Postage Necessary if Mailed to the USA” ??

P3100016 OK, this was a surprise. While I was living in the US I saw envelopes like this many, many times. You know, “No postage necessary if mailed in the USA” but this prepaid envelope that I received from an organization in the US (at University of Chicago, surveying PhD graduates) is actually claiming no postage necessary for mailing internationally to the US. I wonder how they coordinate this. I mean, the cover has things in English and French so I suppose in countries where English or French is the most common language the post office may be able to read this but how about countries like Japan or China ? Of course just being able to read is not enough. How does the post office in the country of origin, in this case Japan, get paid for the cost of sending this letter? Do they just charge through the US Embassy? :-P

No comments: